Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Counting

I had recently noticed when I am counting something out loud with Emily I'll say 'one' and then she'll say 'dooo.' I'll repeat 'two' and then she'll say 'freee' and I'll return 'three.' (She never starts with one by herself though). I kinda didn't think too much of it-was still trying to figure out if she really knew what she was saying. Well, 2 nights ago as I was putting her to bed. We had the same start as usual with the one, two, three. After she had said 'freee' I repeated 'three.' She then said 'fawr', I repeated 'four', then 'ive' (five), 'sis' (six), she skipped seven and went right to 'ate' (eight), 'nin' (nine). She was sitting on my lap looking at a book. My jaw just dropped as she kept going. I could not believe it! So much for winding down time-I called Aaron and my mom into the room-"Oh my gosh, I swear she just counted to nine!!" First Aaron comes in and says-well I've been working on it (with one of the counting books we have). Then when my mom comes in she too says that she's been reading that book a lot with her. I suppose I have too, because she always wants to read it, but I guess I never thought that it sunk in. I'm sure she doesn't really realize that she's counting. She's probably just reciting what she's heard us do so many times-but still it's crazy!! Just more proof that they really are soaking in everything that you say!! Besides-it's more fun to just brag on her and say how stinkin' smart she is!! :) Now, if we could only get her to do it again!